Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 0: Well, That Was Enlightening

OK, don't ask me why I thought a class labeled "TurboKick" offered at 24 Hour Fitness was going to be anything remotely close to a real kickboxing class. Wishful thinking maybe? I mean, I knew this wasn't going to be Fairtex (the muay-thai gym where I got my ass handed to me on a not at all regular basis when I lived in San Francisco), but good god, I didn't expect it to be what it was. Let's break it down for you:

I knew this wasn't likely:



But this I wasn't ready for:



Needless to say, after bouncing around like a moron for about thirty seconds, I knew there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell I was staying for sixty minutes of that ridiculousness. That's right people, I was that guy who very unstealth-like walks all the way across the entire room in the middle of the instructor giving her far too excited instructions and leaves. Lesson learned. Now, should I choose to explore another new 24 Hour Fitness class offering, I'll be setting up camp near the door. I took a quick pass through the cardio room but the machines all looked completely alien to me, with pretty people far too peppily climbing never-ending stairs and riding one-wheeled bikes and running forever in place. I had to leave immediately. So here I sit, typing instead of working out. I suppose I could have jumped in the pool (that's the main reason I signed up for that gym, given I love to swim) but I somehow lost my swimsuit in the shuffle from Haiti to NYC to England to NYC to NC to CA and my replacement one hasn't gotten here yet.

Anyway, not much else to report. Job hunting is a bit soul-killing (I really, really hate the Craigslist jobs board) but gotta do what ya gotta do. Going in for an interview tomorrow about a tele-fundraising gig. It pays nothing, but at least I'd be raising money for things I can get behind - environmental causes, LGBT causes, etc., and besides, it's three months. I can do that. If nothing else, it'll stop me hemorrhaging the ever-dwindling savings I want to make last until grad school come Fall 2012.  And if I land a restaurant gig between now and when I leave LA, I'll work both. The more money the better.

Connected with someone on Skype this morning that lit up my day and made me refocus myself to a certain degree - remember why I'm here, and what awaits down the road if I can make it all come together. She has a way of being a driving force for me. She reminds me of what my life can be. She brings out the best in me.

Alright then, if exercise isn't happening today I damn well ain't skipping language learning. Time to bone up on my Français. Fluenz French, let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment